Sunday, May 20, 2007

Palak Chole, Papdum, Chutney

Palak Chole (puh-lack cho-lay) is one of my favourite meals to eat at Indian restaurants. While I am terrible with the names of everything, I do know what I like! Palak Chole is spinach and chickpeas, respectively. Tender chickpeas and spiced, smooth spinach sauce. This recipe is from Vegsource.com. Served with chutney and Papadum (crispy spiced cracker-like bread) I bought at the Indian Market. I sauteed papadum in a skillet with some oil as opposed to deep frying it.









I am altering it because it was way too spicy for me. Also, ***I would suggest using 2 packages of (10 oz)frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed well. I started with one 10-oz. bag of spinach and it made maybe 1/2 cup puree. If you use frozen spinach, do not cook as it is already cooked. Just squeeze well and puree.

Ingredients

2 Tbsp vegan margarine
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 cup Tomato puree (I used regular canned tomato sauce)
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 cup Chickpeas
2 bunches Spinach***
1-3 Green chillies
1 inch piece Ginger
4-5 cloves Garlic


Wash and soak chickpeas in 4-5 cups of water for 5-6 hours. Drain, add 3 cups of fresh water and pressure-cook till done. Note: I didn't soak, just pressure cooked until tender.

Spinach: Remove stalks, wash and blanch spinach in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, refresh and blend to a puree.

Remove stems and wash green chillies. Peel and wash ginger and garlic. Grind the three to a coarse paste using a little water.

Heat margarine in a pot, add cumin seed and sauté till it changes colour. Add green chilli-ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute. Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt and fry for a few minutes or till the ghee leaves the masala.Add spinach puree and chickpeas and stir gently. Cover and allow to simmer on low heat for five to six minutes.Serve hot.

No comments: