Monday, June 18, 2007

Two Bargains: Fruit and Steamer

Today I went to the Health Department's Farmer's Market. It's held every Monday and there are a couple tables out. The great news is that from what I could tell, people were able to use their WIC coupons. This is a huge step since the WIC program is NOT known for being vegetarian-friendly. (It's supported by the dairy industry so maybe that's to be expected). Things may be changing! I don't have kids of my own but I think a produce stand at the Health Department is the best way to show healthy eating.

Strawberries-$2, Sweet Potatoes $3, Peaches $2.50



The watermelon was from a truck right by the health department so I got one ($5)

And then I went to Goodwill and found this bamboo steamer for $3. There was a lady who found a Cuisinart handmixer. I want it but she got it. I should have gotten there 5 minutes earlier. Oh well.


1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

OMgosh, your BAMBOO STEAMER! That is so incredibly COOL!! i'm excited for you. Nothing like goin' to Goodwill and comin' out with something awesome like this. Very nice. Sorry you didn't get the Cuisinart handmixer, but this is a great deal/steal for you. Use it in the best of health!

This was great news to read about the HD's FM and the peeps using their WIC coupons. i have seen WIC used in all sorts of sad ways (buying things that are decidely NOT healthy...) and i'm very happy to read what you wrote. Very cool of the HD by you. Impressive.

Nice buys on your produce, too. A good day!!